They’re fun, they’re festive, and they’re hot! Sparklers are a fun and easy way to celebrate on holidays like Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. While these small fireworks are easy to light and fun to wave around, it’s important to use them safely. According to the CPSC, sparklers can burn as hot as 2000 degrees Fahrenheit and can easily cause burns when not handled correctly.
So before you get out the sparklers this holiday, review our nine tips to help you stay safe while celebrating.
Sparkler Safety Tips
- Follow your local laws. Make sure your sparkler purchase is legal and safe by brushing up on your local laws.
- Watch where you wave. As festive as it feels, waving a sparkler can send sparks flying where they don’t belong.
- Supervise children. Children under the age of 12 should always have adult supervision to prevent injuries.
- Dress appropriately. Nothing makes a party fizzle like an accidental burn or singed T-shirt. Rock your favorite close-toed shoes and avoid loose clothing to help avoid mishaps
- Use one sparkler at a time. Leave the large firework displays to the pros – light each stick individually to keep your sparkly celebration under control.
- Keep your distance. By now, you are an experienced social distancer. Channel that skill and stay at least 6 feet away from anybody with a sparkler. Avoid passing lit sparklers from one person to another, and resist the urge to try anything flashy like running with or tossing sparklers.
- Dispose of sparklers properly. A sparkler stick can retain heat – and pose a fire risk – even after it burns out. Soak all used and unused sparklers in water and then throw them away in a metal container. This will prevent the sparklers from burning other garbage.
- Keep water close. Summon your inner firefighter and keep a source of water handy in case of an emergency.
- Never relight sparklers. Don’t be a “dud” – dispose of dud sparklers in a bucket of water. Attempting to reignite them can create a dangerous situation.
Looking After You
At Erie Insurance, we value your safety this Independence Day and every day. That’s why we go out of our way to help you protect what matters most with homeowners insurance you can trust. Contact us today to find the right insurance coverage for you and your family.
ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York). The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.
The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time.
Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions.
The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states. ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York. ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York. ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York.
Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.
Your ERIE agent can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.
A better insurance experience starts with ERIE.
Haven’t heard of us? Erie Insurance started with humble beginnings in 1925 with a mission to emphasize customer service above all else. Though we’ve grown to reach the Fortune 500 list, we still haven’t lost the human touch.
Contact Williams Insurance Services today to experience the ERIE difference for yourself.